Have you every been on a canal boat? Have you ever thought about holidaying on one. These suggestions are from Ian from UkCanalBoating.com
. Please click the link and maybe you will find yourself on a boat soon.
1. View the spectacular Pontcysyllte Aqueduct on the border with England and Wales. The aqueduct can be travelled over via foot and canal boat. The aqueduct is an amazing feat of engineering and is a World Heritage Site. The aqueduct can be reached from our bases at Blackwater Meadow, Whitchurch Marina and Wrenbury Mill.
2. Experience the Falkirk wheel from our base at Falkirk Wharf in Scotland. Sail 35 metres into the sky!
3. Navigate your way through the famous Caen Hill locks from our base at Hilperton in Wiltshire. There are 29 locks over a 2 mile distance rising 237 feet! It will take you 5 to 6 hours to navigate the locks, but it’s well worth it!
4. Travel through the Harecastle tunnel on the Trent and Mersey canal from our base at Anderton Marina. The tunnel was built by James Brindley and Thomas Telford. The Telford tunnel runs for 2,926 yards. At the time, the tunnels where the two longest tunnels in Britain. The tunnels are also said to be haunted!
5. Cruise the Grand Union Ring from our base at Gayton Marina in Northamptonshire. The route takes 14-21 days and covers some 175 locks with approximately 114 hours of cruising!
Thank you for reading