Here are some things you can do to be happier at work. If you are happy at work then great but if you feel that your day could be a bit more buoyant then you may find some of these tips useful. Please comment on how you find them. I feel there may be a few instalments of the post.
- Choose to do the the hardest task first or the task that you are least looking forward to. I carry a old kitchen timer around with me and sometimes time myself 5 minutes on the dreaded task. You will be amazed that after the five minutes you will probably feel like finishing it off. After 15 minutes more likely than not you will have reached completion. Give it a go!
- Try to escape outside at lunchtime. If you take sandwiches in to have at lunch then you will feel much better if you have a walk and eat them somewhere away from your desk. Eating at your desk or with other colleagues does not always provide positive atmosphere for you to get away from it all.
- Choose to be extra friendly to your work colleagues. Strike up random conversations and be interested in people. If people feel you are interested in them then you will appear interesting and you will find the chat flows more easily. Other people love talking about themselves.
- De-clutter your working environment. If you clear your space and develop an effective filing system you will find the day will be much easier to handle. Clear all the icons from your computer desktop and create a folder named archive and put all files you have not used for ages in it.
- Spend 5 minutes a day for a week writing a ‘What is good at work’ list. Once you have got 10 -15 items then keep it with you at all times – either electronically or paper version. When things get tough pull it out and remind yourself of the positives.
Please send me some more suggestions at email@example.com
Just do a few more things a day