- Spend at least one hour searching for music that you have never heard before, but that you might just fall in love with. A good way to do this is to search last.fm for your favorite artists and then take a look at the other music they recommend based on your tastes. Find at least three new songs that you fall in love with (maybe more) and add them to your ipod or burn them to a cd.
- Get outside in nature for at least two hours with your new music and a notebook in tow. Find a quiet spot (your local park, a beautiful cemetery or a nice spot near the water), take off your shoes, feel the earth on the soles of your feet and people watch. Sky watch. Observe the details of everything around you and write down your impressions, whether they be words, sketches or stream of consciousness thoughts.
- Experiment with an artistic medium that you think you have absolutely no talent for. If you have never painted in your life, go to your local craft store and buy some inexpensive paints and an inexpensive pack of canvas panels. Go to town on them for a few hours whilst silencing your inner art critic. If you have never sculpted before, get yourself some clay and go wherever it takes you. Play your newly discovered, fantastic new music while you dabble in this new creative form.Reference the notes from your time spent in nature. You will find that stretching yourself to try something new will open up inspiration in other areas of your life.
- Take a bath or shower worthy of a Queen or King. Bring along a glass of wine or a cup of tea. Go decadent with an arsenal of salt scrubs, ointments and divinely scented things. Focus on all of the sensations that greet your five senses; the sound of the water, the taste of the drink, the water droplets that form on your skin, the temperature and smoothness of the water and the scents that surround you.
- Zone out. The day is winding down and it’s now time to be lazy, so settle down into something that equates with “zoning out” for you, whether it’s watching a movie or tv, reading a book or playing a game.
I hope you have enjoyed these suggestions and they have been useful. If you would like to contribute then please e-mail your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please follow this website on on Facebook . My twitter name is #fivethingsnow.