- Play Great Music – Familiarize yourself with free music apps such as Songza, 8tracks, Spotify, and Pandora. Use these to discover new music and create playlists that cater to your whole group of friends.
- Invite Awesome Friends – Always start with your closest friends and let them know if they can bring a guest (or 6, depending on where you plan on the night going). If you want to have a small gathering, don’t post it on facebook, and definitely don’t make it a public event. Don’t be afraid of letting your friends know that certain mutual friends have caused problems in the past and should remember to tone it down if they plan on coming by again. Also, don’t shoot out mass texts, everyone knows they got one and unless you’re still in a frat, no one cares.
- Plan on Providing Diverse Drinks – If you have not specified BYOB on invitations or in person, plan on providing at least a few options to keep your friends and their lady friends entertained. It’s safe to assume most of your friends drink nice beers, so you are usually safe buying a couple of cases of nicer beer (Amstel Light, Michelob, Heineken, etc.), a fifth or two of vodka or rum, and possible a case or two of lower end, cheap beer if you plan on getting a little rowdier by the end of the night.
- Prepare to Play Some Fun Games – Not all games played at parties are designed to completely inebriate you. Be fun, be creative and invite outliers at the party to join in so everyone can enjoy. Games at parties, whether twister, poker, or flip cup, tend to be the center of attention. For an ever increasing list check out Athletic Ale, who release new games and updates frequently, to help you design the ultimate soirée.
- Always Have a Place to Crash – Always expect that at least one of your friends is going to get bombed beyond belief and at least a few of your friends are going to take it easy because they don’t want to drive home drunk. Provide a bed for your bombed friend and reassure your other friends that there will be a place for them to crash so that they can enjoy a carefree evening. You don’t have to get too fancy, drunk people rarely care where they sleep – just hold onto a few spare blankets and pillows and usher them to the couches or living room floor at the end of the night. (Also, unless it’s your best friend or baby sister… just let it happen.)
Hope you enjoy them